Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Week 4 Reflection

Is it only week 4 Reflection? In any case I am still finding new things to check into and it really helps to see what others have done. As I commented earlier I managed to set up a Voki. I'm still working on getting my school web page going and wonder if it will support a Voki. I think the students would be surprised to see it considering I am not known for my technological knowledge. Today after their math MCA I caught the interest Spanish 3 by showing them the Delicious bookmarking site. On it I showed them freerice.com, wordle.com and quizlet.com among others. They really enjoyed these and I may use these as class starters or enders when there is time. I set up a code so if they wanted to set up their own site and put my code tag in we could all benefit from their sites. It could be anything like vocabulary practice, grammar, podcasts, cultural information, and even songs or videos in Spanish. I told them to keep it appropriate for class, but since they would have their own site (as I have mine), they could make their own bookmarks for other things as well that we wouldn't see. It is totally optional and on their time. If nothing else they can benefit from what I bookmark.
Back to the Voki and voicing. I would love to find a way to use this with my students. I found information on VoiceThreads, but that costs money. There are also sites for doing comics which would be interesting too. I found this link that has tons of things on it: http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/.
My students are really into collaboration and that seems to be the wave of the future, so I'm trying to find ways to improve on this. The trick is to then make sure students are individually responsible for the material as well.
I have found the reading in Disrupting Class to be interesting especially the business aspects. It makes sense that the new wave would start with a need that is not being met. It will be interesting to see what comes out of modular design in the future for student-centered learning.
I have not added much onto my classroom2.0 site since I am having some trouble with it lately. I'll have to check in at class on Wednesday with everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barb,
    I noticed you were thinking about comic creators. I just compared three sites and wrote about it on my blog if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete